Answered By: Julie LaDell-Thomas Last Updated: May 11, 2017 Views: 80
The database ReferenceUSA can be used to search for a list of companies that offer a service in a particular geographic location.
Before you begin:
- To search for a specific type of business, you'll need to know either the NAICS or the SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) code for that service. See the links below for finding the NACIS or the SIC for your industry.
- It's also helpful to have the ZIP code for the location you want to search; use the link below from the U.S. Postal Service if you're unclear which ZIP code you should be using.
- Go to Reference USA (link below)
- Click on U.S. Businesses
- Click on the tab above the search windows that says Custom Search.
- Select Business Type: Keyword/SIC/NAICS and enter the code or keyword.
- Next, select Geography: ZIP Codes. Enter the codes for your location. You can also try "Radius" and choose a mileage range around your chosen ZIP code.
- Once you're finished making your selections, click on View Results.
Your results list will include the name, address, and phone for companies that match your search (25 per screen). You can click on the company name to view additional information for each. You can also download or print a limited number of records.
For more help using ReferenceUSA, use the links below.