Although the requirements vary for different types of papers, you may find it helpful to structure your proposal as follows:
- Problem Definition - a description of the problem and its significance
- Literature Review - all major research studies that are relevant to the research question
- Research Methodology - a description of how the researcher will study the problem that has been identified
- Expected Timeline of Proposed Project - lists the major activities and how long it will take to complete them
- Terminology and Definitions
- References - a list of the resources used and cited within the proposal
You may also want to review completed papers for some CMU programs using the links below.